A few weeks back I made a very large coconut layer cake for my friend. Turns out she shared it with the whole neighbourhood and I got complimented alot.
COCONUT LAYER CAKE:
2 1/2 cups (375 g) all purpose (plain) flour
2 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 cup (250 g) butter, softened
2 cups (400 g) sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 teaspoon coconut extract
4 large eggs
1 cup (250 g) Milk
1/2 cup macadamia nuts or almonds, chopped
1 package (250 g) cream cheese, softened
2 tablespoons butter
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
2 cups (300 g) confectioners' (icing) sugar
1 cup (150 g) shredded unsweetened coconut
1 cup (250 ml) heavy (double) cream
1 tablespoon confectioners sugar
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/2 cup (75 g) shredded (desiccated) coconut
- Preheat the oven to 180 degrees
- Butter two 9 inch (23 cm) round cake tins
- Mix flour, baking powder, and salt in a large bowl
- Beat the butter, sugar, vanilla, and coconut extract in a large bowl with an electric mixer on medium high speed until pale and creamy
- Add the eggs, one at a time, beating until just blended after each addition
- With the mixer at low speed, gradually beat in the dry ingredients, alternating with the milk. Stir in the nuts by hand.
- Spoon half the batter into each of the prepared tins.
- Bake for 25-30 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the centre comes out clean.
- Cool the cakes in the tins for 10 minutes. Turn out onto racks and let cool completely.
- Filling: With the mixer at medium speed, beat the cream cheese, butter, and vanilla in a large bowl until smooth. Add the confectioners' sugar and coconut.
- Split each cake in half horizontally. Place one layer on a serving plate. Spread with one-third of the filling. Repeat with two more layers. Place the remaining layer on top. Spread with the topping and sprinkle with the coconut.
- Refrigerate for 30 minutes before serving.
Preparation: 1 hour
Cooking 25 - 30 minutes
Recipe from: The Golden Book of Patisserie